Monday, October 19, 2020

Why Do Quilts Cost so Much Anyway? - The Green Patchwork Baby Quilt

 One of the most common questions I (and others who sell quilts) get is...

"Why is this so expensive?  I can get a blanket at the store for like $60..." 

It's true,  you can - but let's break down what goes into a quilt made by a person running a small business.  For an example, I kept track of what went into making this very simple, green patchwork baby quilt.  Quilt is available for sale: HERE


Materials:

Quality quilting fabric is currently $10-$12 per 36" x 42" piece. Occasionally, a sale fabric will help, but for this calculation, I'm going to use $10 as the fabric cost.  A quilt also includes batting between the front and back.  I use Warm & Natural, which I buy in bulk.  This works out to about $5 for an equivalent sized piece of batting.



So for this quilt measuring 34" x 43" , we're looking at $9.67 for the front, $12.38 for the back, $2.63 for the binding, and $5.63 for the middle - not even accounting for all the fabric that gets lost in the seams as it gets sewn together.

Total material cost is $30.31


Labor:

Yes, I do this mostly for a hobby.  However, all labor should be paid a living wage.  For my area, according to livingwage.mit.edu, a living wage is $13.15 per hour assuming no children and just one adult in my household.  

I kept track of all the time required to make this quilt - cutting, sewing, quilting, binding - and it added up to 5.9 hours.  Note, this was a very simple quilt, with a simple quilting pattern, all done on a home machine.

Total labor cost: $77.81



Other Costs:

Additional costs go into making a quilt - but these aren't always captured.  What about the electricity I used to run the sewing machine, the upkeep required, the thread cost, the time spent staging and photographing, posting to a website and creating a listing...I did not capture these in the pricing.

Let's talk a bit about posting to a website.  I currently use Etsy to sell my quilts.  This means that I also have to account for their fees when setting a price.  Also, this site prioritizes listings with free shipping - but we all know that free shipping isn't actually free.  I have to account for this cost when setting a price as well. 



Finally, if I want to make a profit on this - I need to add this in.  The profit is the money I can actually use to invest back into my business.  Profit means I can continue to buy fabric, I can upgrade my camera, I can buy a new quilt pattern for sale...

So, adding all these costs in, and rounding up a bit to be consistent, we come to a final price listing of $140.


Many shoppers will say this is too high and pass on the quilt, choosing the mass produced version instead.  And that's a choice you can make.  But before you do, please think about the numbers above and what corners a corporation would have to cut to be able to shrink the numbers.  

Also know that I appreciate every single sale, and love being able to provide a quilt that will be a family heirloom for years to come.

(This quilt is for sale: HERE)







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Endlich spricht es jemand an. Es steckt Arbeit in dem Quilt die auch gerecht entlohnt werden sollte.
Billig kann jeder und wird arm dabei. Leben kann dann keiner mehr davon. Billig bedeutet nicht gleich Qualität.
Es stehen Menschen hinter diesen Decken die Achtung verdienen!