Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Improv Chevrons - Love Circle March Block

For the March blocks, the Love circle at do. good stitches is making these improv chevrons.  I could not wait to get started, Natalie picked colors that were in my stash, but nothing I would have put together myself.  I love how these turned out!  I normally am a very precise, template type of sewer, so this was fun to do.  I plan to do more.  And this color scheme might be one of my new favorites.  I'm thinking these same fabrics, maybe a few more added in, in a simple charm square type quilt....

Anyway, here are my two blocks.  The first one had some issues with the bottom disappearing when I cut to size, but still looks good.  The second one I planned a little better.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Lou Lou Thi Grid

I splurged when this fabric line came out and bought the whole line.  I've used quite a bit in other projects, but I wanted this quilt to be made with just this collection.  I loved how it looked with white, so this design was born.

I wanted to try sashing without using long strips, so each block is outlined on two sides, then I layed it out and figured out which blocks needed three sides, or four sides outlined.  This was slightly annoying, since I don't have a design wall, and had to use the living room floor.  But, I love the finished product.  It's sunny.  I didn't realize how much yellow is in the collection until you see the whole thing spread out.

Quilt stats:
4-1/2" finished squares, all Lou Lou Thi fabrics.
1" finshed width Kona Snow sashing
Backing - a lot of random fabrics
Binding - scrappy, Lou Lou Thi - I picked the smaller prints for this.
Size: Huge.  The picture above is on a king sized bed.  There are two rows hanging off the bottom and sides, with about a foot left uncovered at the head.
Quilting: Straight lines along the short side of the quilt,  about a 1/4 in on the inside of the sashing.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Curves Class Week 3

I chose the scallop quilt for my third curves project.  I like this quilt top, but I'm stuck on how to quilt it, and what to do with it.  I had planned to hang it in my dining room, but even with scaling it down, I think it's too big.  I suppose I could cut it, but I put all that work into it....

Anyway, here it is.  Kona solids, can't remember what they are, I really wish they'd label the selvages.  I could compare to the color card, but honestly, I'm too lazy.  I think it's Chocolate, Ocean, Light Brown, and Bone - from left to right.  But, I can't be sure.

The bone to light brown I attempted improv pieceing, and it did not go well at all.  I'm stretching the fabrics way too much.  It all worked out when cut, but the remaining rows I pinned.  All in all, it went together pretty easy, and I think it look way more complicated than it is.  I'll probably try to make another one sometime.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Curves Class

It may seem like I'm not working on my curves, but I swear I am.  I've just been really busy at my day job, and haven't been home to post, much less take any daylight pictures.  I managed to get a few this past weekend, so I've got a few posts to share!

This is my interpretation of Rainbow Road by Rachel.  I planned for it to hang in my bathroom (the true sign of a quilter, I think), but I'm not sure where.

It's made from a bunch of stashed blues and blue/whites.  Bound with Kona brown.

I didn't seem to have too much trouble, I've heard some others in the class did.  But, there was one section that didn't quite want to be flat.  That's what steam ironing is for, right?

All in all, I'm happy with the finished wall hanging.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Modern Mini

I decided to hold off sharing this one until I could enter it into the Modern Mini Challenge.  I was inspired by this one by Elizabeth, and wanted to make a wall hanging.  Of course, as soon as I started, the quilt-along went up, with all sorts of directiosn.  Oh, well, I wanted it smaller anyway.

These stars were made using 2 inch finished squares.  The finished quilte measures about 34 x 34.  The stars are made from both Innocent Crush and LouLouThi, both Anna Maria Horner fabric lines.  The backing is Kona Charcoal.

My favorite feature about this is the quilting detail.  I quilted with a silver thread around each star, producing a very sparkly effect.  This is darn near impossible to photograph with my camera, and the sun would not cooperate this week.  So, here's the best picture I could get. 

This was one of those projects that just seemed to take so long, and I'm not sure why. I had figured I could get the top done over a long weekend, but making those stars took forever. I don't think I planned right for all the trimming required. And then the outline quilting wasn't in the orginal plan.

I love the overall effect, and it makes me happy on the days the sun does shine.  It's living in my sewing room and really brightens it up.